Experts in the protection and decoration of buildings and homes since 1832, Blanchon is the undisputed specialist in wood finishes and the partner of choice for professionals.
Single-component, water-based wood floor lacquer for all type of wood floors.
Easy and quick to use, Athen wood floor lacquer enhances light-coloured wood floors without altering their shade. It does not require mixing and boasts a high-build capability. It is fast-drying and allows the area to return to use quickly.
- About 8 to 10 sqm per litre
- 5 Litres
- Athen® may only be applied to wood that has been taken back to bare and evened out by sanding (stripping and dewaxing are not recommended), and is free of dust and traces of detergent, grease, wax, polish or linseed oil (or other special oils).
- The wood floor must be perfectly clean and dry: in general, humidity below 10%; consult the French installation standards (D.T.U.) in force (do not use washing powder, bleaching agents or floor cleaner).
- Then clean thoroughly.
- For glued wood flooring, use Blanchon Resin Filler, which is recommended for colour-matched filling.
- Consult the Technical Data Sheet for this product.
- If necessary, use a suitable treatment product.
- Sanded floors (to bare wood) can be stained using Blanchon Waterborne Dye for floorlayers or Blanchon Wood Ageing Agent. When using these products, once the stain has dried, apply 1 coat of Blanchon S.O. Primer to fix the stain.
- In all cases, never sand the stain itself. It is recommended to sand the wood floor before applying the final coat of Athen®, after the previous coat is completely dry (approximately 3 hours). Carefully remove all traces of dust before applying the final coat of Athen® finishing.
- Do not use woodstain.
Primer before lacquering
- The use of a Blanchon Primer as a first coat means that 2 coats of Athen® can be applied on top (2-coat application involving 1 coat of Athen® onto 1 coat of hardener is not suitable).
- The Fast-Drying Primer allows fast completion with an easy and odourless application. Like Athen®, the Fast-Drying Primer preserves the natural colour of the wood.
- Preplast Primer is particularly recommended on previously waxed, oiled or stained floors (see § Wood Staining). Its use gives the original wood a warm colour.
- In all cases, the wood floor must be perfectly dry and clean. Remove all traces of dust before applying any finishing product.
Direction for Use
- No Mixing: Single Component. No dilution is required.
- Shake well before use.
- Do not lacquer the wood floor if the temperature is below 12°C or if the relative humidity exceeds 85%. Never use on wood where the moisture content is higher than 10%. Use only in well-ventilated areas.
- Apply 3 even and generous coats with a roller, graining brush or brush (for edges or small areas).
- NB: the slightly milky appearance of the liquid disappears within a few minutes as it dries.
- Once the first coat has dried, a light sanding with a buffing machine (fine sanding disc) is recommended, followed by careful vacuum cleaning. Do not use steel wool.
- Sanding is essential if more than 24 hours elapse between coats.
Cleaning of Tools
- Clean tools immediately after use with water.
Protecting the Environment
- Carefully remove excess moisture from the equipment after application; dry thoroughly.
- Rinse using very little water in a container; allow the water to evaporate.
- The dry residue may then be disposed of normally in a bin.
- Seal the containers properly after use.
- Do not discharge the residue into drains.
- Dispose of empty containers at a waste recycling centre.
- Dust-free drying: 45 minutes.
- "Sandable/recoatable" drying: 3 hours in normal conditions.
- Do not leave more than 24 hours between coats (if this happens, sanding is essential).
- Final hardness: 8 to 10 days.
- Light traffic: 24 hours.
- Occupation of the premises: during the first 10 days take some precautions: do not cover (protective sheets), do not place carpets on the lacquered wood floor during this period. Do not move heavy furniture. Remove dust with a vacuum cleaner or broom (do not use impregnated textiles).
- Next: place suitable protection (felt) under the feet of tables and chairs. If necessary, a quality doormat placed at the entrance to the room will retain dust and gravel. Do not allow water or other liquids to stagnate on your lacquered wood floor (isolate flower pots).
- Store carefully, protect from frost (take care when storing in vehicles).
- Re-seal carefully after use.
- Athen® allows easy maintenance of all types of wood flooring.
- Routine Maintenance: remove dust frequently with a vacuum cleaner (or a broom), accompanied by regular wet wiping (wellwrung cloth or mop and never dripping).
- Lagoon® cleans daily. Cleaner Lisabril removes grease from all wood floors for a deep clean. It preserves the original finish.
- Important: wait 10 days before using any maintenance products to allow Athen® time to fully cure.
- Do Not Use: floor cleaning machine, mop, silicone-based polishes, ammonia products or abrasive detergents, etc., i.e. all materials and products likely to damage the slip resistance of the product or increase its shine level.
- Heavy-traffic areas can be maintained on a regular basis with Blanchon Protectors Satin or Metamat® and the Cleaner Lisabril.
- On Athen® Natural Wax, use only the Protector Matt, Cleaner Lisabril or Lagoon® so as not to alter the original look.