Experts in the protection and decoration of buildings and homes since 1832, Blanchon is the undisputed specialist in wood finishes and the partner of choice for professionals.
Water-based polyurethane wood floor Lacquer. Preserves the original shade of the wood.
Initial® enhances the beauty of light wood floors while retaining their original colour. Based on the latest formulation technology, it has excellent build properties. Initial® can be used to lacquer any properly prepared wood floors: living rooms, bedrooms, lounges, staircases, etc. It can be applied to all woods commonly used for wood floor.
- About 10 sqm per litre
- 5 Litres
- 10 Litres
- Sand old or new wood flooring to obtain a smooth, even surface: first sand to bare wood with 24 or 36 grit, then with 50 or 60 grit and finish with 100 or 120.
- Remove all traces of dust.
- The wood floor must be perfectly clean and dry: as a general rule, moisture content should be below 10%. Consult the DTU in force (do not use detergents or whiteners).
- For glued down wood flooring, use Blanchon Pro Filler (water-based filler), or Blanchon Resin Filler for filling and Colour-matching
- If necessary, use a suitable treatment product.
- Floors sanded back to bare wood can be stained with Blanchon Aquateintetm 2K. In this case, after the stain has dried, apply 3 coats of Initial® directly on top (or apply Blanchon Prim'Sealer or Prim’Gold and then 2 coats of Initial®).
- Sanded floors (to bare wood) can be stained using Blanchon Waterborne Dye or Blanchon Wood Ageing Agent (positive shades). When using these products, once the stain has dried, apply 1 coat of Blanchon S.O. Primer to fix the stain (do not use Prim'Sealer or Prim’Gold in this particular case). Then apply 2 coats of Initial®.
- In all cases, never sand the stain itself, but only the first coat of finishing product, in order to maintain the quality of the stain.
- It is also recommended to cut back with fine sandpaper prior to applying the final coat.
- Do not use woodstain.
Use of Primers
- The following Blanchon primers may be used as a base coat: Prim’Sealer, Prim’Gold or S.O. Primer (please consult the relevant Technical Data Sheets). In this case, apply 2 coats of lacquer.
- The use of Prim’Sealer or Prim’Gold allows fast completion with an easy and odourless application. The colour obtained with Prim'Sealer gives the wood a colouration close to the one achieved with Initial® used on its own. Prim’Gold gives the wood a deep and warm colouration – especially when applied to hightannin woods such as oak or chestnut - close to the one achieved using a coat of S.O. Primer.
- Using S.O. Primer allows fast sealing and gives the wood a lovely natural warmth enhancing the initial tone. It is essential to use S.O. Primer to fix Blanchon Waterborne Dye, and Blanchon Wood Ageing Agent before sealing with Initial®
- Do not use a 2-coat system, with 1 coat of Initial® on 1 coat of primer
Direction for Use
- No mixing: shake well before use. Initial® is ready to use. No dilution required.
- Do not lacquer the wood floor if the temperature is lower than 12°C or if the relative humidity is higher than 85% (in accordance with the DTU in force). Do not use on wood with a moisture content above 10%.
- Apply 3 even and generous coats with a special varnishing roller (or a graining brush or brush for edges or small areas), or 2 coats onto your chosen primer (see § Surface Preparation).
- Once the first coat has dried, a light sanding is recommended with a buffing machine (fine sanding disc) before removing all traces of dust.
- Sanding is essential if more than 24 hours elapse between coats
Cleaning of Tools
- Clean tools with water immediately after use.
Protecting the Environment
- Carefully remove excess moisture from the equipment after application; dry thoroughly.
- Rinse using very little water in a container; allow the water to evaporate.
- The dry residue may then be disposed of normally in a bin.
- Seal the container properly after use. - Do not discharge the residue into drains.
- Dispose of empty containers at a waste recycling centre.
- Dust-free drying: 45 minutes under normal conditions.
- Before sanding/recoating: 2hrs 30m under normal conditions.
- Curing time: 8 to 10 days.
- Light traffic: Approximately 24 hours under normal conditions.
- Occupation of the premises: precautions should be taken in the first few days of use. Do not cover the lacquered wood floor with protective sheets, rugs or carpeting during the 10 days following application.
- Next: place suitable protection (felt) under the feet of tables and chairs. If necessary, a good quality mat placed at the entrance to the room will help by retaining dust and gravel. Clean up spillages of water and other liquids immediately, and be careful where you place flower and plant pots).
- Store carefully, protect from frost (take care when storing in vehicles).
- Re-seal carefully after use.
- Initial® gives you ease of maintenance for all parquets, wood floors and stairs.
- Remove dust regularly, using a vacuum cleaner or a dustpan and broom.
- Mop the surface occasionally using a damp mop, but never a soaking wet one. Stains can be removed with Blanchon Lagoon®, Blanchon Cleaner Lisabril or a neutral detergent (follow manufacturer’s recommendations for concentrations.)
- Important: allow 10 days to elapse before carrying out any cleaning or maintenance to give Initial® time to dry out thoroughly.
- Do not use: floor cleaning machine, mop, silicone-based polishes, ammonia products or abrasive detergents, etc., i.e. all materials and products likely to damage the slip resistance of the product or increase its shine level.
- Heavy traffic areas finished with Initial® can be maintained on a regular basis with Blanchon Protector Satin or Matt and Cleaner Lisabril. Frequency of maintenance will depend on usage and traffic.
- Any refinishing of a previously sealed floor using Initial® should not be carried out before the wood has been sanded back to bare wood